Empowering people // building the next economy.
Who is Platform?
Platform Calgary is laser focused on making Calgary a global hub for startups and innovation. We believe that an inclusive, tech-led approach to economic growth and diversification will unlock new avenues of prosperity for current and future Calgarians. Already one of the world’s top 100 emerging innovation ecosystems, our goals are ambitious: over the next 10 years we want to see a 10x increase in the rate of startup creation and growth lead to the creation of 30,000 future proofed jobs.
To make this vision a reality, we are opening the Platform Innovation Centre, Calgary’s Home for Innovators. With 60+ partner organizations already connected and aligned in vision under one roof, we are collectively what our name suggests: a platform upon which to build, with an expansive, efficient and well resourced network of support at its foundation. Along with our partners we offer innovators everything they need to get started and get growing: educational programming, community, advice and a globally-connected network of resources.
At heart we are trusted collaborators with our partners that work alongside us, and are tireless champions for every innovator that comes through our doors.
What’s it like to work at Platform?
Yes, our goals are ambitious. Some might say aggressive. (Yes!) We’ve set the bar high for ourselves and for Calgary’s tech community. The only way we’ll get there is if a) the next 10 years in tech are the best in Calgary’s history (for everyone) and b) we are a catalytic organization that, at its core, is highly collaborative AND highly entrepreneurial.
Our team is passionate about supporting startups and innovators no matter where they’re at, but is equally enthusiastic about seeing our partners thrive as they deliver on our shared vision for Calgary. At the end of the day, we’re all working together to empower the people building the next economy.
We hire experts and generalists with complementary skills and a shared attitude: we value integrity, creativity and diversity, and we thrive as part of integrated teams that revel in delivering results. If you’re considering joining our team, it is important that you understand we are blazing new trails in our city. A lot of what we need to be able to do in the future is being built today. (Hint: look elsewhere for well-worn playbooks and a slow moving routine.) Read our Guiding Principles for the litmus test on how we determine and prioritize the work we do.
Diversity in the people we hire is essential for truly collaborative work, and for the impact we are accountable for in the community we serve. We foster a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected to fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
We operate a hybrid and flexible work environment to support the best results from our highly collaborative teams.
Our beliefs are the foundations of Platform’s growing culture. Written by all of us, we are each accountable to these beliefs and work to reinforce them in our daily work:
- Ship It: I do what it takes to get work out the door even if it’s not perfect, and learn how to make it better.
- Shout Out: I revel in my coworkers’ efforts and accomplishments.
- Move the Needle: I drive transformational results by focusing on opportunities that create measurable impact at scale.
- All Hands: I take initiative to listen, ask and contribute in whatever ways I can because I have experiences and knowledge that matter.
- Build to Last: I make decisions today that create foundations for the future of Calgary.
- Top Priority: I safeguard my health and wellness and know I am supported by the team to take care of myself.
If you’re ready to be a part of a highly collaborative team that is making a difference in the future of Calgary, come talk to us.
The Facilities Manager plays a critical role in the running of the centre by creating a safe, healthy, and efficient work environment that improves business performance and optimizes productivity for the Platform Calgary team as well as our on-site partners and members. Reporting directly to the Director of the Innovation Centre, the Facilities Manager supports the Executive team in making adequate real estate and operational decisions that will ensure the support and wellbeing of the organization.
This permanent, full-time role is ideal for an individual with facilities management and operational experience, and most importantly, the passion to help build an organization that is dedicated to building Calgary as a global hub for startups and innovation.
What you will be doing:
- Support day to day business operations, ensure efficient operation of facilities, mitigate risk, and ensure that facilities meet the needs of on-site partners, members and the Platform team.
- Coordinating activities to achieve operational efficiencies while adhering to the strategic plans of Platform. Analyzing needs and directing changes as required.
- Act as a Security Officer supporting the Director of the Innovation Centre on physical security protocol, policy and procedures. Working with auditors, members, partners and experts in security planning and change management.
- Implementing policies, procedures, guidelines, rules and regulations as it relates to Facilities Operations so staff and branches can operate efficiently, resolving specific operational issues, as a means of minimizing risk and cost exposure.
- Oversees work of Contractors and Consultants.
- Coordinate Services contracts, Member requests, Security Systems, System Upgrades.
- Liaise with CPA operations and maintenance staff to ensure designs are coordinated with maintenance and requirements.
- Managing all supplier/ service provider relationships including regular contract reviews.
- Support the Innovation team with facilities requests and responsibilities.
- Supporting a healthy work environment consistent with all Workplace Safety requirements including furniture layout, internal heating and cooling.
- Vendor invoice coding and New vendor set up in the system.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you will bring:
- 5+ years experience in facilities management or property management.
- Knowledge of Canadian Building Codes.
- Ability to communicate effectively with multiple teams.
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities concurrently.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, team environment with changing/competing priorities and tight timelines, including managing several initiatives at once.
- You enjoy learning together with your teammates and helping others to succeed in their work as well.
- You prioritize balancing work and personal life.
- Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
- Experience working in a dynamic non-profit environment.
- Competencies in Excel, Sage Intacct, G-Suite and G-Sheets, Asana, Slack, and HubSpot.
- Experience in AutoCAD or other drawing packages.
- Some knowledge of Security Systems.
What you will receive:
- Full Medical & Dental Benefits including a Health Spending Account.
- Group RRSP matching program & Group Life Insurance.
- Opportunities for professional development.
- Salary Range: $61,000 - $85,000.
Platform Calgary is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including aboriginal persons, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
Platform Calgary requires its team members to have up to date vaccinations to minimize risks associated with COVID-19.
We thank all applicants for their interest and sending their resume to [email protected] but only those shortlisted will be contacted. We are hoping to undertake first interviews by December 13, 2021 but the role will remain open until filled.